Hey there friend thanks for checking out the blog. Thanks to social media outlets Facebook and Twitter I was able to document my recent trip to the Calgary Comic And Entertainment Expo 2012. It was quite the quest filled with misadventure, good times and a few bad. Among my many activities that weekend it included the fact I got drunk with 'The Honky Tonk Man', I got to meet Stan Lee and most of the cast of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation', and I had a talk with comic book writing icon Peter David.Captains Log: Sunday 4/29/12 Calgary
The following is a log of each days activities with pictures included, with more blogs and pics later in the week. Enjoy and please leave a comment!
- Chris Lockhart We're in. Just have to sit and wait till 10 am now, but we're in!
* Brief Re-Cap of Last Nights Star Trek TNG EXPOsed Show:
- Chris Lockhart It opened with a awesome band playing Sinatra and swing band style music, kinda like Michael Buble. Then a recorded message from the Mayor of Calgary. Then the introduction of 'Emily Expo', the cons super sexy mascot. Then a video of Emily interviewing other sci-fi stars at the 'Emerald City Con' about TNG. Those interviewed included Christopher Judge (Stargate), Edward James Olmos (BSG), George Takei (Sulu), Walter Koenig (Chekov), Robert Picardo (The Doctor from 'Voyager') and others who I didn't know, mostly voice actors.Then Garret Wong (Ensign Kim from 'Voyager') came out and had a funny story about why he likes TNG, and he did a great George Takei impersonation. Then one of the original TNG crew workers was there to say some words. He apparently works on the TV series 'Hell On Wheels' now and said Colm Meaney sends his best. Meaney was Chief O'Brien and stars on 'Hell on Wheels'. Then they unwisely had a 30 minute intermission...Then the TNG cast came out.
It was a great show, moderated by the Innerspace Crew (Teddy, Ajay and Cynthia) and guest appearances by Aaron Douglas (Tyrel from 'Battlestar Galactica') and John DeLancie (Q). They asked Patrick Stewart who his favorite villain was and he said 'Damon Bok', then from the back of the arena someone yelled 'Hey wait a minute!' And in walks John DeLancie. He came on stage and sat with the crew and Stewart admitted it had to be Q. Wil Wheaton had some great comments, the whole crew were funny to watch.
Chris Lockhart Wheaton discussed how he felt bad leaving the show when he did. And Gates McFadden thanked fans for getting Dr Crusher back on the show after the Producers decided to get rid of her in Season 2, she returned in season 3. I was not aware that is why she was taken out. It was a great show. Hopefully it was filmed for release because I would like a copy. There was a film crew there. If they were smart they would sell that on DVD or on iTunes.
*Just saw a very hot 'Wonder Woman' who basically was wearing underwear...VERY NICE!!! X a million!!!
* got Denise Crosby's autograph and now in line for Marina Sirtis
*in line to meet Worf
*in line to get my pic with Data at 12:30
-Chris Lockhart This will sound bad but I wish I had a wheel chair to sit in. My legs are so sore and a wheel chair would give me the mobility I require...
-Chris Lockhart Got our pic with Data. Amazingly nice guy!
*some guy had the nerve to ask if he could jump the line ahead of me. Felt like saying FU(K u! But I politely refused. Don't complain to me about long line ups!
-Chris Lockhart Some people... Its amazing how many people try to butt in line...
-Chris Lockhart And it's amazing how pushy people get.
*Just seen a guy dressed up as the A+W Manager from the commercials... At least I hope he's dressed up...
-Lori Flood I love that guy
-Chris Lockhart This guy wasn't as handsome...lol
* having some lunch at the con. Just talked with The Honky Tonk man again and got his autograph. Real nice guy.
* I should have dressed up as 'The Hamburgler' so I would have an excuse to steal someone's hamburger... If I got caught I would just laugh it off and say I was in character and all would be forgiven...maybe next time...
* Peter David quote "I would take Dick Clark with a stroke over Ryan Seacreast". Freakin hilarious!!
* got some more classic 'He-Man' toys in my quest to rebuild my lost collection from my youth.
* Note to self: buy bigger pants so I can carry a bottle of water in my ass pocket. (Probably glad I put 'pocket' in that sentence...)
- Chris Lockhart Waiting in line for my 'Fringe' photo!!
-Allison F. VanderGriend Cool can't wait to see that picture!!!!!! :D Yes that was a good idea....the pocket that is!...lol
-Chris Lockhart Legs so sore... Feels like I ran a marathon...
-Allison F. VanderGriend yea i can see that...lol well todays your last day right? How did bailey( i hope I spellled it right) like it?
-Chris Lockhart He's good. And it is the last day!
-Chris Lockhart The Fringe guys were very nice. Can't wait to post all my pics!! Monday or Tuesday!!
*got Aaron Douglas's autograph and now going to get Hayden Panettiere. Then back to the room! Day over!
-Chris Lockhart Done and done. Aaron was very nice. Hayden was nice enough, but she seemed a little high maintenance. But very beautiful!! We're back at the room. Gonna have some supper then swimming at the pool. It has been a great weekend spent with my son!
-Chris Lockhart Just had a half hour cat nap. Feel much better!
* I can officially say that I have met every regular cast member of Star Trek: The Next Generation!! Thanks Calgary con! Despite all the problems, line-ups and frustrating moments in the end it was all worth it!
- David Fitzpatrick Did the Geek get his mother her gift?
- Chris Lockhart Nope I didn't. The line up to get the Weasley twins autograph was unbelievable. They were getting as many people in their line as Patrick Stewart and Stan Lee. Pottermania lives on!
- Jeff Torvalson Was nuts in there
- Chris Lockhart Sorry we missed u Jeff. We'll have to exchange stories sometime!
-Jeff Torvalson Yeah... Got some good ones
-Chris Lockhart Did you see that 'Wonder Woman' in her underwear? OMG nerdgasm!!
*Bailey just shook hands with 'The Million Dollar Man' and 'Jake The Snake' is here in the restaurant too!
-And Bailey got Jake The Snakes autograph and shook his hand.
-Another wrestler came in. Not sure who he is but he said 'Hi' to Bailey. Guess Bailey made quite the impression on the Wrestlers at the Expo. He's a cute little dude who loves wrestling.
* Peter David just walked past our table at the lounge. Didn't know he was staying here too, would have loved to have had a beer with a Comic Book writing legend!
*didn't see any 'Innerspace' people this year. Too bad they were very nice to meet last year. Too many celebrities this year to meet I suppose...
-Melody Warman So did you like it? Did you come and play in my transporter room transit shelter?
-Chris Lockhart I saw it but didn't have time to stop in. You made that?
-Melody Warman Yep!! We had 2 on the street downtown Calgary. Used augmented reality in the poster design and using an app on ios platform it actually had a transporter 'beam' and you would disappear and then beam back reappearing...uber cool! Ppl could share on facebook too!
-Chris Lockhart Sorry I didn't try it. It sounds awesome. Too busy standing in lines this weekend...
-Melody Warman Lol yep par for the course...soooo busy!
*My Mom likes to say the word 'Darlin' a lot in sentences, for example "How are you darlin?" Is something she would say. Keep that in mind for the following comments:
-Anyway as a young lad Denise Crosby was one of my boyhood crushes. She played Lt Tasha Yar in Star Trek TNG. Google her outfit from the episode 'The Naked Now' to see why she had my attention. She seduced Data! Anywho I got the chance to finally meet her today. This woman who attracted me so long ago. And she says to me "Hi Darlin, how are you today?". And she ended our conversation by saying "take care darlin"... One of my boyhood crushes now sounds like my MOM!!! I don't know what to make of that. Bizzare perhaps? I was happy to meet Denise Crosby, in fact I think she posed for 'Playboy' pre-TNG if I remember correctly, and I wondered if meeting her would 'do' something for me... But when she said "Darlin" I can never think of her ever again in that way. Very weird vibe is what I felt this morning. But that didn't stop me from getting her to autograph a photo of her from 'The Naked Now' episode. I'm actually not sure why I'm sharing this story...they say honesty is the best medicine and I need some healing!! Did someone actually say 'Honesty is the best medicine" or did I just make that up? I don't know anymore. Down is up and up is down at this point.
*Thanks to all my friends and family for reading my facebook posts and for leaving comments as I undertook this mission into Geekdom. This is my best weekend of the year!! Special thanks to my wife Crystal, for letting me go to this thing.
-Chris Lockhart And thanks to my Mom for helping me to get my ticket to the TNG EXPOsed show.
-And thanks to my son Bailey for joining me on this trip. Had some great time spent together here.
*Comic Book Writing Icon Peter David just tweeted me!! My geek weekend is complete!!
Captains Log: Monday 4/30/12 Calgary-Barrhead
*Well it's Monday and my Geekend is over. Wanted to sleep in but the Sun (our closest star, not to be confused with my Son Bailey) woke me up at 6:18 this morning...
-Chris Lockhart As soon as sunlight hits my eyes I'm wide awake. I forgot to seek out a night mask last night. Plan on checking out between 10-11, that way we should avoid the bulk traffic. I seen a news story last night on the Calgary News about the Calgary Con. Guess next year they are going to be pre-selling their tickets only. That way people won't be turned away at the door because no tiks will be sold at the door. That would be an improvement. But they need to expand the days, expand the hours and hire more photographers for the Photo-ops. The photo-ops are a gold mine and I know they made a lot of money, but so much more would have been made. I've actually prepped a letter to the Organizers with my suggestions, which I will post on the blogs later this week. But despite all my rants about my experiences this weekend I had a great time. Hopefully they learned from this year and will make improvements to the event next year. I haven't heard who they plan to bring next year, but I'm hoping for Matt Smith (The Doctor) and other cast mates from 'Doctor Who'. Maybe some 'Game Of Thrones' and 'Walking Dead' people too? But I am so tired today, but just can't sleep. Feel like I ran a marathon. Legs are so sore. Plus I still have a chest cold which hasn't helped, but I haven't allowed it to slow me down. I wanted to buy a 'River Song' sonic screwdriver this weekend, but it wasn't meant to be. But I did get a prop medieval sword which I will wield while watching 'Game Of Thrones'.
* Out of Calgary, on Highway 2 on our way home
* When ever I see the word 'Balzac' (the place in Alberta) I think 'ball sack'. Lol
-Chris Lockhart And I giggle with boyish glee
-Jamie Gronlund-Moebes Ditto! I'm giggling now! :)
*driving past Bowden and there is a guy hitch hiking with an orange jumpsuit. Maybe I will give him a ride... (Bailey is writing this for me)
-Brianna Lockhart Rydvall personal secretary!!!!!!! How much is he getting paid??? lol
-Chris Lockhart He got lots of money to spend this weekend!
*Home Sweet Home. Chris Out.