Thursday, April 19, 2012

On The Menu #4: Breakfast Cereal Time!!




Last month on the 'Nerd Lunch' blog CT wrote about a book he received and it got me so intrigued I went out and purchased it for myself. It is called 'The Great American Cereal Book'. Canadians and Americans love their breakfast cereal, which believe it or not is second only to milk and soda in supermarket spending. Cereals and their cartoon spokes-characters (Tu-can Sam, Tony The Tiger, Snap Crackle And Pop, etc)  are some of the most enduring pop-culture icons of the 20Th century. This book is the definitive compendium of breakfast cereal history, showcasing recognizable brands and packaging, such as Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Flakes, Grape-Nuts, and Trix. The authors of this great book provide behind-the-scenes stories about the creation of these iconic kitchen-table companions, with 350 images of cereal boxes, vintage ads, and rare memorabilia. Although this book has 'American' in the title we Canadians can identify with this book too. Canada does not really have any of its own cereal brands, as far as I know all our brands are American brands so this book applies to us in the Great White North too. Reading this book has definitely renewed my interest in the breakfast cereal, because to be honest the last few years I've only been eating Raisin Bran. But seeing all these cereals again in this book I went out and have been munching on some of my favourites including:



Lucky Charms: As a kid I loved this cereal. The colourful little marshmallows, they truly are magically delicious.

Honey Nut Cheerios: This is still a classic and my kids love eating this cereal too.
 
As I continue to read 'The Great American Cereal Book' I'm going to continue to buy some of the cereals of my youth and sample them again. This book really has renewed my love for these sugary-goodness foods. If you are a fan of cereal be sure to check this book out, and watch for future follow-ups on the subject on this blog.
 
Till next time!

No comments: