Saturday, February 25, 2012

Blog #20: Canadian TV

Being a Canadian dude I am very proud of some of our TV having been made and currently being made up here. The shows mentioned here are Canadian made shows aimed at a Canadian audience, which wouldn't include shows like 'The X-Files', or 'Battlestar Galactica' or 'Being Human' for example, those are shows made up here but made primarily for American audiences in mind. But here is a list of some of my fave Canadian TV:

The Best (In My Opinion)
- North of 60
A great show about Native people living in the North and the soap opera-ish happenings up there. I loved watching this series and it is perhaps the best Canadian drama ever made in my humble opinion.
- Trailer Park Boys
One of the funniest TV shows ever made. Whats scary is I have met people in real life like the ones portrayed on this series...
   
- Corner Gas
 This is the funniest Canadian TV show in my opinion. Great humour, great cast, great guest stars, just a great Canadian comedy gem!
-The Kids in the Hall
Another comedy gem produced by SNL's Lorne Micheals!!
From My Childhood:
- Babar
 The great Canadian cartoon, I loved this as a kid and I remember my Mom hating it.
- The Beachcombers
This show aired when I was little and I do not remember much of it, but I do remember the old grumpy character 'Relic'. He was great.
- Danger Bay
Loved this show, but don't remember much other than it took place at an Aquarium, there was a helicopter and the Dad went on to star as the Doctor on the new 'Battlestar Galactica'.
- Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High (80's & 90's series)
This was a great groundbreaking show that my parents allowed me to watch when other parents refused to let their kids watch it. There was sex talk, abortion, suicide and a lot of other controversial topics addressed on this series.
- The Edison Twins
Again don't remember much but if I remember correctly it was a show about 2 teen twins (boy and girl) and their chubby little brother solving crimes using science. Maybe this is what CSI was based on??
- Fraggle Rock
I didn't realize this was made in Canada, but it is listed as being just that. Loved this series, definitely my favourite Henson series as a kid.
- Fred Penner's Place
Loved this show as a kid
- Good Rockin' Tonite
A must watch on Friday nights in the 80's. Best 'new' music videos played.
- Hockey Night in Canada
Not really a show, but a must watch in many Canadian homes during the hockey season on Saturday nights.
- Kids of Degrassi Street
BEFORE Degrassi Junior or Senior High there was the Kids Of Degrassi Street. I don't remember much about this series.
- The Littlest Hobo
A must watch for most Canadian kids in the late 70's and into the 80's. I had often wished that dog would find my house so I could adopt it. 
- Mr. Dressup
Again a must watch for most Canadian kids in the late 70's and into the 80's. I often wondered was Casey a boy or girl?
- The Nature of Things
Informational/Science show hosted by David Suzuki
- The Raccoons 
A great Children's animated series from the 80's.
- Road to Avonlea
As a kid I watched this show with my family. This is where actress Sarah Polley got her start.
Other Great Canadian TV
- The Outer Limits (90's series)
- Psi Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal  ( A great 90's Science-Fiction series starring Matt Frewer)
- Rick Mercer Report   (News/Comedy/Satire: Think a weekly 'The Daily Show' for Canada)
- SCTV  ( The classic Comedy/Sketch show which was filmed for a few years close to where I live. John Candy and many other great comedians got their start on this show)
- Video Hits  ( A must watch Music/Variety show in the 80's)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the memories son