Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Blog #18: Have You Seen My Wallet?

Last Christmas my Sister and Brother-In-Law gave my family and I passes to the West Edmonton Mall 'World Water Park' and WEM's 'Galaxy Land'. And it was a great Christmas gift as it gave our family time to spend together doing fun family activities. The Water park is an indoor water slide facility while Galaxy Land is a big indoor amusement park located in the former largest shopping mall in the world. Last Saturday we went to the water park and all was well. We rented a locker to protect our valuables while we swam. At about 3:20 I decided to get out of the pool and get dressed. So I removed my items from our locker, making the mistake of setting my wallet on top of our locker, and forgetting it there. I got changed and made my way to the lobby before realizing I had left my wallet on top of the locker. This was about 5 minutes after I set the wallet out. When I returned to the locker my wallet was gone. I searched everywhere, filed a report with mall security and even talked to an Edmonton Police Officer, but by the end of the weekend my wallet was no where to be found which leads me to the logical conclusion that it was stolen.
 
At first it was hard to accept that someone would steal my wallet but that is the only logical conclusion. Some low life stole my wallet after seeing it sitting there on top of the locker. So now I had to cancel my credit card, get replacement cards issued to me, call the Canadian Credit Bureau's just in case someone tries to steal my identity, and buy a new wallet. I ended up getting a 'Batman' wallet on a chain.
 
 
 
 
But it really bothers me that there are people out there that would do such a thing. I hear about it all the time on the news but never have I been a victim of something like this. Granted it was my own stupidity for forgetting my wallet for 5 minutes on top of a public locker, but still it takes a low life scum bag to steal someones wallet. Thankfully I am in the habit of never carrying cash on me, I'm a debit/credit card user all the way, and this time it saved me from losing some serious cash. As of yesterday when I contacted the Canadian Credit Bureau's no one has tried to use my identity, so that is good. But talk about a heart pounding ordeal when you realize your wallet has been taken. But it could have been worse I suppose.

No comments: