Monday, January 28, 2019

Why are we so quick to rush to judgment?



I am writing this in response to news I read on Facebook about a celebrity I have met being accused of acting inappropriately with underage female fans and making homophobic statements. (This celebrity shall remain nameless during this blog post as I do not want to add fuel to this social media fire) I met him a few years ago at a convention and he was very kind to me and the rest of the fans assembled to get his autograph. There were many young female fans there too and I never saw any of the behaviour described in the article I read.

Problem is with social media I find people are so quick to rush to judgment, the 'Where there's smoke there's fire' mentality runs rampant and sometimes innocent people are vilified. I am not one to rush to judgment, especially when I have not witnessed 'it' myself ('It' being the behaviour in question). I have no idea if he’s guilty but until it is proven without a reasonable doubt I say innocent until proven guilty.

But people jump on these crusades and what I hear and don’t understand is when people say “Many of us knew about this for years”...Really? If you knew this years ago why didn’t you say something years ago? Why wait until someone else does then jump on the bandwagon? If you witness an injustice and do nothing about it at the time would you not share in some of the guilt?

Again I am not saying this person is innocent or guilty but let us not hang this man on accusations. If he is guilty let it be proven and let us not rush to judgment.

No comments: