Sunday, June 9, 2013

Spock Days 2013: Vulcan, Alberta June 7-9




So my wife Crystal and I made the journey down to Vulcan, Alberta to attend 'Spock Days' for the first time. Big "Thank you" to my wife for agreeing to go along with this trip as she is not a Trek fan at all. For those who do not know, Vulcan is a small town in rural Alberta, south of Calgary. The town is celebrating it's 100 year anniversary this year, so their name predates the original Trek series. But Vulcan tourism came up with the brilliant marketing ploy to capitalize on their name and associate it with Star Trek. For 21 years they have had their town fair as 'Spock Days'. Spock days is essentially a town fair and Star Trek convention rolled into one. And Vulcan is officially recognized by CBS Studios (which owns the rights to Trek) as the 'Star Trek Capital of Canada'! Very cool, well cool if you are a Trek fan that lives in Alberta. 



Back in February I purchased my 'Captains Tickets' and I was ready to go. Star Trek: Voyager actors Robert Picardo (the Doctor) and Ethan Philips (Neelix) were there along with Trek illustrator Rick Sternbach. 

Ethan Philips & Robert Picardo

Rick Sternbach & Chris


Friday night they had a 'Meet & Greet' with the Admiral & Captain ticket holders at the Vulcan Legion Hall. We got to mix and mingle with the celebrity guests. Crystal and I got to meet the actors agents as they sat at our table. Rick Sternbach eventually sat beside me at our table and we had a good Trek conversation. 

I shook hand with Ethan Philips and he asked me about my Toronto Blue Jays hat. We then had a quick conversation about baseball and his fondness for the Jays. I got to shake Robert Picardo's hand and listen to him tell stories about his acting career. He was drinking a Kokanee beer!! 



Saturday Crystal and I got to see the actors again as they were staying at our hotel in High River. When we got back to Vulcan we attended the parade which was awesome with a lot of cool parade floats and great Trek cosplay. Robert, Ethan and Rick were also part of the parade riding on convertibles. 



Vulcan was to open their official 'Trek Museum', but unfortunately due to issues with CBS they were unable to open this weekend. Much to the disappointment of fans. 

Crystal


At the school was the 'Dealers room' and photo-ops and autographs with the guests. Robert Picardo & Ethan Philips performed a funny comedic stage play prior to the dinner that evening. I also won free 'Captains tickets' for the 2014 'Spock Days', so yes I will be returning. 

Overall 'Spock Days' was a great experience, I had a great time and met some great people. 





No comments: