Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises (Spoiler Free Review)

Last weekend I was out visiting my Dad who lives by the Saskatchewan border, and I decided to take some time and go see a little film called 'The Dark Knight Rises', which i had been meaning to see but didn't have a chance at that point. So my son and I made the short trek into Saskatchewan to watch the film, my first film ever watched in that province, and I must say it was well worth the trip!

First off I am a huge fan of Christopher Nolan's Batman films (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight) so when I had heard that this would be his last film in this 'trilogy' I was very disappointed. But DKR (Dark Knight Rises) was a great film and a fitting end to this Batman saga. I still wish they would keep going with this series with all who is involved, but sometimes it is best to end on a high note which is what they did with this latest film. Here's a few spoiler free pro's and con's:

Pro:
- Bane made for an excellent villain and was used very well, unlike his first feature film appearance in 1997's 'Batman & Robin'. Tom Hardy did a great job as the character despite having to act through a mask. After Heath Ledger's historic take on 'The Joker' in the last film Hardy had very big shoes to fill and he did so nicely.  

- Anne Hathaway was excellent as Selina Kyle (Catwoman, but very actually called that in the flick). I really wasn't sure if she could pull of the character but she did and perhaps did the best interpretation of Selina ever seen on film. Really hope she gets her own film...

- All the supporting characters were great once again and  Joseph Gordon-Levitt made a great addition to the cast.

- I love Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne. Definitely the best actor for the role by far.

- Nolan did a great job making Batman a 'real' character. You watch this film and you cannot help but think that this could happen. Batman/Wayne is a regular dude and is vulnerable just like anyone else.

- There were some great surprises in this film, story elements that surprised even me and certain actors making surprise appearances. Very cool.


Con:
- Probably my biggest con with this film is the complex story. Without giving anything away certain things were established in the last film, but then it just got tossed out the window just too easily to be believable. The story has a lot of holes in it's logic. Problem wit the last 2 Bat films is that Nolan created too complex of a story. It was still an enjoyable story but there were times I was scratching my head saying "What?".

But over all I would give this film 4.5 stars out of 5. It is a great film, but not as good as 'The Avengers' in my humble pie opinion.

See ya in the future!


No comments: