Sunday, October 6, 2019

Star Trek: Disco Inferno


The problem I have with Star Trek: Discovery is that it is not “Star Trek” as far as I’m concerned. It does not obey or live up to the ideals that Trek creator Gene Roddenberry established; ideals that he made his writers and show runners follow. This new show feels more like ‘Star Wars’ than ‘Star Trek’. I’ve seen fan film productions better than this show that accurately portrays Gene Roddenberry’s vision for a ‘positive vision of the future’. Not to say it’s all bad: the casting of Anson Mount and Doug Jones were brilliant choices but the blatant disregard for established Trek canon pushed me away. However if people like it that’s fine too, hopefully it’ll get new people watching the previous Trek series, but for me it’s a missed opportunity to do something special... 

I had the pleasure of meeting Anson Mount at the Calgary Expo in April 2019. He does make an excellent 'Captain Pike'.

 
They really should have done an Anson Mount 'Captain Pike' series...

 
However I am hopeful that ‘Star Trek: Picard’ will do right because of the involvement of Patrick Stewart and other Trek alumni. I really don’t think they would sign on for a mediocre show. Because in all honesty I’d call ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ mediocre Trek. If you took away all the Trek references on the show it would make an alright science fiction show but when compared to Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine it is very mediocre. 
 
Season 3 trailer that dropped at NYCC: Meh. Still not hopeful.
 
 
Hopefully 'Star Trek: Picard' will bring the franchise back to its glory days.
 

No comments: