Saturday, October 5, 2019

My Baby Girl Sheba

As you may or may not know my family recently lost a valued member of our family, our beloved shitzu ‘Sheba’, whom I often refer to as my baby girl. I write this in remembrance of this amazing little dog whom stole my heart and who I miss dearly. Sheba was born in 2010 and was raised by another family for her first year. They were a nice middle aged couple who both worked away as cooks at work camps. In 2011 my wife Crystal ran a dog grooming business out of our home and Sheba became one of her dog grooming clients. Sheba’s owners jobs changed and they were no longer able to take Sheba with them when they went to camp for work for two weeks at a time. So they asked Crystal if Sheba could stay with us on the weeks they worked and we were happy to agree. We loved when Sheba came over for her grooming as she was such a sweet and obedient little puppy. After a couple months of this arrangement her owners came to us with a problem: You see when they were home they only lived a few blocks away and when they would take her for walks she would always pull them towards our home. It seemed she had grown attached to Crystal and I and the kids, so her owners asked us if we would be interested in adopting her. We readily agreed and in 2011 she became an official member of our family until her death on Sept 22nd 2019.
She started getting sick a week before her death. At first we thought she was getting better but she really didn’t and eventually we had to take her to the vet where they diagnosed her with pancreatitis. She spent a night with the vet and she came home on the Friday with medications and an expected recovery. Saturday she did seem better and was more mobile than she had been in days, but sadly that was short lived. Saturday night she seemed to be in more pain but it seemed her pain meds started working again and she went to sleep around 9:30 pm. At 5 am Sunday morning we were awakened by her yelps of pain from her bed in the living room. Shortly after Crystal gave her the pain meds she went stiff and fell onto her side. Her breathing became erratic and we called the on call Veterinarian. But before we made it to the vet clinic she died in my arms; my baby girl Sheba was gone. Our family’s hearts were collectively broken and we all cried over the loss of our family member. She was cremated and we set up a memorial on a shelf in our living room. Sheba was probably the best dog I have ever owned. She will always be with me in my heart until the end of my days.

She was a simply puppy and never asked for anything except for the occasional milk bone. She loved the dog bed I bought her. She loved to nap on top of the love seat in our living room beside the large window. At night she would sleep with Crystal and I. She loved kids and guests to the house; she particularly loved her Nana Darcy and Grandma Yvonne, and Grandma Joan and Grandpa Harry. I would take her for long walks at the Barrhead and Fairview outdoor walking paths, and she would never complain or refuse to walk; she loved the outdoors and spending time with her family.

Although I spent a lot of time with her I still feel like I didn’t spend enough; I can’t help but feel like I didn’t appreciate her enough. But such is life that we never know when a loved one will leave us and I took for granted that she would be with us for years to come as she was only 9 years old (in human years…but I guess she was 63 in dog years…).

Spend time with your puppies, enjoy every moment with them as they may be called up to heaven suddenly without warning.

Sheba: you will be in our hearts always. I miss you more than words can say my baby girl. I’m sure you are with Grandma Yvonne in heaven and getting spoiled. We all love you and miss you.

-         With love,

Dad and your family.

1 comment:

Bailey said...

Love this...sure miss our baby but we'll see her again one day. Until then, she is bringing happiness to our loved ones up above.