Monday, November 12, 2018

Stan Lee: Rest in Peace



Today the world lost comic book legend Stan 'The Man' Lee. He was 95 years old. He created and co-created some of the most iconic comic book characters since the 1940's including: Spiderman, The X-Men, The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Black Panther, Ant Man, Iron Man, The Hulk...and many more. He was also famous for writing 'Captain America' prior and during World War II  (Captain America was created by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon).

Aside from writing and creating for comic books he was a veteran of World War II. He also has made cameos in every MCU film and many other cameos in other Marvel films (that were not created by MCU). He appeared as himself in the Kevin Smith film 'Mall Rats' and in an episode of 'The Simpsons'. He also did a lot of voice work in the Marvel cartoons over the years.

On a personal note I have always considered him one of my heroes because I have always wanted to be a comic book writer and creator. I had a chance to meet him in 2012 at the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo. I got a pic taken with him and my son Bailey. When we were done the photo and the ushers were moving us along to make way for other fans getting their pictures taken with him I quickly turned to him and said "Thanks for everything Stan". He didn't reply as we were being ushered out of the photo area but I am forever grateful I was able to tell him that.

 
Rest in Peace Stan.


No comments: