Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Tube Talk: Sunday Nights

Aaron Paul & Bryan Cranston from 'Breaking Bad'
Tube Talk: Sunday Nights

Spoiler Warning!!!

Well it’s that time again: great TV viewing on Sunday Nights. I have my PVR set to record multiple shows and I will attempt to break down each as best I can.

- Breaking Bad (AMC): Well we are down to the final episode of this great series. The last season has been nothing but epic. The last 2 episode in particular were amazing to watch. I cannot wait for the final episode. I will have to watch it a day later as I will be working…hopefully I won’t get spoiled BEFORE watching it. Also having actor Robert Forester guest star on last Sundays episode was great. Too bad we could not have seen him sooner.



- Talking Bad (AMC): Much like ‘Talking Dead’, the companion talk show to ‘The Walking Dead’, AMC has decided to do this talk show format for BB. Chris Hardwick also hosts this show. Being a huge BB fan and having Vince Gilligan, Dean Norris, Anna Gunn and the other actors on and answering some questions was awesome. Glad they are doing this show, just wished they had done it sooner.





- Dexter (Showtime/Movie Central): Well I have to first say I enjoyed the final season, which just ended last Sunday. Did I like the final episode: NO I did not. I’ve said it before that this was a series that had a lot of potential and could have gone to some really neat places, but in the end they didn’t. I really felt the final episode and the decisions Dexter (and the writing staff) made were dumb and really not tryue to the character or the show itself. It was sad to see a show I had been following for 8 years end the way it did. (I really miss Julie Benz and John Lithgow on this show…just saying…)

- Ray Donovan (Showtime/Movie Central): This show premiered right after the first episode of ‘Dexter’ this summer, and I was hooked right away. It takes place in LA where Ray Donovan (played by the great Liev Schreiber), who is originally from South Boston, is a "fixer" for the powerful law firm Goldman & Drexler that represents the rich and famous. However, he experiences his own problems when his father, Mickey Donovan (played to perfection by Jon Voight), is unexpectedly released from prison. So far I loved this series and I intend to continue viewing next season. It was a surprise hit for me. Worth checking out for sure!



- Boardwalk Empire (HBO): Season 4 just started a few weeks ago and I still love this period drama about prohibition and gangsters in the 1920’s. Steve Buscemi is amazing as ‘Nucky Thompson’. Last season, especially the season finale was amazing and this series has a lot to live up to but so far so good.



- True Blood (HBO): Dropped this show after last season. Done and done.



- Walking Dead (AMC) premieres October 13th!! I cannot wait. Looking forward to checking out their companion series set to debut in 2015!!



Other TV other Nights of the week:



- Under The Dome (CBS Monday Nights): I had been enjoying this series in the beginning then I fell off about half way. I kept tabs on it, watched most of the episodes because my wife really liked the series but I found myself questioning why I was still watching. I never read the Stephen king novel from which it is based but I can’t help but feel it should be darker. Dean Norris (Breaking Bad) is excellent as ‘Big Jim’ on this series, but I find the supporting cast tends to fall flat. Some of the plotlines make no sense and some of the acting is terrible at best. Not to say this is a bad series, I do enjoy some aspects of it. It has been renewed for a second season so my wife will be sticking with it, and I’ll keep tabs on it but I wish it would go darker and weirder.

See you next time for an update. Go break some bad!




No comments: