Monday, May 20, 2019

GoT: Winter is over and our watch has ended…


I really wanted to see Jon or Arya take out Grey Worm...

***SPOILERS***

With the final episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ having finally aired the internet trolls and haters are out in full force spreading their hate and venom to any who will listen about how much they hated the series finale. I am neither a troll nor hater, despite what certain people say when I speak out against the abysmal ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ (fitting that their acronym is ‘STD’…something you definitely do not want…). I thought the series finale of GoT was good and a fitting end to the series. Was it everything I had hoped for? No. I held out hope Jon would claim his birthright and be the King he was supposed to be. But this is ‘Game of Thrones’ after all, if you were expecting a perfect and happy ending you really were not paying attention all these years.

As I stated in a previous blog post I feel the last few seasons of GoT were rushed. But I also understand there is more to consider when making a TV series such as the business end of making a TV series. When writing books such as this that George RR Martin has done, there really is no limit to what he can and has put down on the printed page. But when making a TV series there are so many variables that come into play when telling your story such as money, actors, crew, locations, studios, viewers, time…so many things to juggle and unfortunately sometimes compromises have to be made to tell the story. So the timing and logistical issues that have played a part in GoT these last few years I do not blame the show runners for. I think they did the best they could with all the variables they had to deal with.
 

There are spin-offs already in the works (prequels) and given the way the series ended there are definitely plot threads a sequel series could pick up on. Some unanswered questions:

-         What’s Arya going to find as she sails west? Will she find the other end of Esso’s or perhaps another unexplored continent?

-         What’s up with the Doltraki? Did they stay in Westeros or go back to Essos? Did they sail away with the Unsullied?

-         Are there more threats beyond the wall for Jon Snow to face? Maybe the Night King didn’t bring his entire army with him…and maybe those forces were unchanged after his downfall because of the spells still helping to hold up the wall that’s still standing…

-         Where did Drogon go?

-         Is Tyrion the Mad Kings kid? I know at the end of the day it does not matter now but I’d kinda like to know one way or the other…

 

I love this show and as a fan I found the finale satisfying. To all the haters I say this:  

 


 

No comments: