Sunday, March 24, 2019

The Troll Epidemic


Trolls always be trolling but to me it seems as if social media has gotten so much worse in the last year or two. I remember back in 2011 or so getting into a heated Facebook debate with a ‘friends’ husband over the ‘Lord’s Prayer’ being taught in public schools. It went from a simple comment of being ok with it to defending my place in society as a native man. Suffice to say that argument got heated and went into directions I was not expecting. But in the last year or so I’ve found myself more and more defending comments and statements I make no matter how innocent they may be. Anything you say now it seems people tear apart and spin to their own conclusions. It’s a sad epidemic and it has forced me to reconsider some “friendships” on social media and leave some groups as I am so sick of the negativity and bullying that occurs both to me and others I see.

I’ve always lived by the motto ‘Treat others the way you would want to be treated’. I do not like being bullied or ridiculed so I choose not to do that to others. Life is too short to be full of hate and vile. Why can’t we just all get along? I suppose the truth is it is human nature to want to upstage our neighbor, but that isn’t my style, that’s why I’ve chosen Buddhism. And I am going to be doing some “housekeeping” in regards to my social media friends and groups.

 

Nuff said?

No comments: