Tuesday, July 9, 2013

This Weeks Assignment from The League: Auction Wish List!

This Weeks Assignment from The League:
Hake’s shopping spree (redux)
It’s been a slow summer, and the heat seems to have taken its toll on a lot of us, but this week’s League challenge should get the ol’ blogging adrenaline going again. Hake’s Americana and Collectibles has, once again, generously offered to sponsor this week’s topic for the League…
Go on a fictional shopping spree at Hake’s current auction #209 to make your collection a little more amazing.
Hake’s has given us permission to reuse their photos and descriptions in our responses to this week’s League challenge, just be sure to link back to their auction. One blog entry will be selected to receive $100 credit to spend at Hake’s!
Well this is going to be a fun assignment. I went to the auction website and was blown away by some of the items up for grabs. Some of the items are amazing, but the bids are a little too high for me, so for my selection that is featured below I chose items at low bidding right now. I tried to pick a variety of different items, unique and not related in any way. I’m a geek/nerd with many tastes. I’m a fan of a variety of different genres, whether it is ‘Star Trek’, Comic Books or The king of Rock & Roll, my interests are varied and many.
 My 5 selections are all different, unique and absolutely awesome. I’ll break each item down then explain why I chose it. Here we go….


1-    "DICK TRACY" METAL LUNCHBOX WITH THERMOS.
Auction Description: Embossed metal by Aladdin. ©1967 Chicago Tribune. Box features Dick Tracy and Sam Catchem in hovering "Police" vehicles chasing down bank robbers on front panel. Back panel features group scene showing Dick Tracy w/Tess Trueheart, Dick Tracy Junior w/Moon Maid and Honeymoon, B.O Plenty and Gravel Gertie w/Sparkle Plenty, others. Band shows crime-sighting techniques and equipment and has partial Aladdin sticker on right side. Box has moderate edge/rim wear, w/some areas of bare metal showing. A few raised areas show small areas of bare metal. 1.5" and 2.75" hairline scratches on front panel. Box retains a bright and glossy appearance and is Fine overall. Comes w/6.5" tall metal thermos w/plastic cap. Thermos features differing illustration, showing group watching Junior, Moon Maid and Honeymoon on "Luna TV." Some loose rust particles within, but thermos displays Exc. (G - $100 to $200)
I was a huge fan of the 1990 ‘Dick Tracy’ film. I bought all the action figures and had a blast playing them along side my TMNT action figures. But anyway I developed an appreciation for the Dick Tracy character; in particular I started watching the old cartoon and my Mom bought me a of collected Dick Tracy newspaper cartoon strips. I loved that book and still have it on my book shelf to this day. Anyway the long and short of it is I am a fan of classic ‘Dick Tracy’, and having this classic lunch box and thermos on my shelf would look so freakin awesome on my shelf.



2-    "STAR TREK" SIGNED PHOTO LOT
Auction Description: Lot of four photos signed by main stars or prominent guest stars on the classic 1968-1969 NBC sci-fi TV series. 3.5x5.25" screen-capture snapshot shows DeForest Kelley (1920-1999) as McCoy and photo has been signed in black felt tip pen. Exc. 8.25x10.25" glossy bw photo shows James Doohan (1920-2005) as Scotty and photo has been signed in black felt tip pen. Photo has some lt. handling wear but is o/w Exc. 8x10" glossy bw photo shows Mark Lenard (1924-1996) as Spock's father Sarek and photo has been signed in blue felt tip pen "To Vern, My Best, Mark Lenard." Exc. Glossy 8x10" photo features William Campbell as Trelane from the classic "Star Trek" episode "The Squire Of Gothos." Signed in black felt tip pen "To Vern, Tally Ho! William Campbell." Exc. Comes with Hake's COA and JSA COAs. (G - $100 to $200)
I am a huge Star Trek fan. In 1994 I met actor James Doohan at a Trek Con in Edmonton and I got his autograph. He was an amazing man a Canadian legend, but unfortunately he is no longer with us. And also unfortunate is the fact I lost my James Doohan autographed picture, that I got signed when I met him, in one of the many moves I have made over the past decade. I never got to meet the other actors listed in this photo lot, but they all seemed like good people and I would love to have their autographs, and I would love to replace my lost James Doohan autograph.

3-     "CAPTAIN MARVEL" PREMIUM PORTRAIT PICTURE VARIETY SIGNED BY C.C. BECK.

Auction Description: 7x10" on stiff glossy paper. c. 1941. Great action pose w/facsimile signature "Best Wishes - Your Pal, Captain Marvel." Below this Beck, perhaps Captain Marvel's best-known artist has signed his name in blue felt tip pen. Text on bottom margin reads "Captain Marvel Appears Monthly In Whiz Comics." Thin top margin as originally printed, not trimmed. Scattered lt. margin wear, but picture remains bright and clean. VF. The only example of the picture we have ever seen signed by Beck. A superb vintage item to have signed by Captain Marvel's premier artist. From the Robert M. Overstreet Collection and comes with Hake's COA. (G - $100 to $200)
Captain Marvel (Shazam) is a character I have a lot of affection for. I have come to learn a lot about the history of this character and I really think if certain things hadn’t happened in history that directly affected the character, he would have been bigger than ‘Superman’. I like what Geoff Johns has done to reintroduce the character and the ‘Marvel family’ into the DC ‘New 52’ as a back-up story in the Justice League title, but I would like the original ‘Captain Marvel’ and his family of characters to have their own book. I never watched the ‘Captain Marvel’ serials from the past, but I have seen clips and it looks awesome for the time. I just think this portrait picture would be a cool artefact to have and framed in my living room.



4-   “ELVIS PRESLEY (MR. DYNAMITE) SOUVENIR PHOTO ALBUM” VARIETY WITH DISCOGRAPHY
Auction Description: 1956. Subtitled “Nation’s Only Atomic Powered Singer”. 8-3/8x10-7/8” w/eight pages published by “Elvis Presley’s Advertising and Promotional Department”. Front cover photo is same one used on Elvis’ first album. Photos throughout include performing, signing autographs, parents at home. Back cover has RCA record list. Light handling creases, front cover has faint moisture marks but still glossy and bright. Overall VG/Fine. Limited distribution, mainly sold at personal appearances. Historic, the first magazine devoted solely to Elvis. (H - $200 to $400)
I am a huge fan of the King, and I think this discography and photo album would be amazing to have. This summer I will be volunteering at the ‘Blue Suede’ festival in Busby, Alberta. It’s a great festival where Elvis impersonators come out perform for hundreds of Elvis fans. I am looking forward to attending and volunteering my time at the festival this year. The festival runs August 24 & 25th in Busby. Check it out at www.bluesuedemusicfestival.com



5-   “JOHN ROMITA SKETCH BOOK” WITH PETER PARKER/SPIDER-MAN SPECIALTY ORIGINAL ART
Auction Description: 6-7/8x10.5” hardcover w/dust wrapper ©2002 John Romita. Published by Vanguard. 112 b/w extensively illustrated pages and introduction by Stan Lee. Inside front cover has original pencil drawing w/classic double face image of Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Art is signed “To Charlie + Joan San Diego July 23, 2006 Jazzy John Romita”. Exc. Romita began work on Spider-man w/issue #39 Aug. 1966. Over the years he would draw 50+ covers and stories for 46 issues. Art was commissioned in person from the artist. From the Charlie Roberts Collection. (H - $200 to $400)

Again, I am a big comic book fan and I have a definite appreciation for the artists that helped define the characters I love. John Romita did some incredible work on Spider-Man and this sketch book would be amazing to read and have as part of my collection


That was fun. Be sure to check out the auction at: www.hakes.com
And check out some other blogs that are part of the league, including:



See you in the future!
"DICK TRACY" METAL LUNCHBOX WITH THERMOS.

  "STAR TREK" SIGNED PHOTO LOT
“ELVIS PRESLEY (MR. DYNAMITE) SOUVENIR PHOTO ALBUM” VARIETY WITH DISCOGRAPHY
"CAPTAIN MARVEL" PREMIUM PORTRAIT PICTURE VARIETY SIGNED BY C.C. BECK.
“JOHN ROMITA SKETCH BOOK” WITH PETER PARKER/SPIDER-MAN SPECIALTY ORIGINAL ART

1 comment:

Joe B said...

Nice choices! I'm not too au fait with Dick Tracy, are they flying around in waste paper bins on that lunchbox?