Tuesday, October 9, 2012

“State of the Site” Random Nerdness




This weeks assignment from the League Of Extraordinary Bloggers is pretty straight forward: Write a “State of the Site” for your web site. How’s it going? What exciting things have happened this past year? Where do you want your site to be in a year’s time?
 
So I actually started blogging on Facebook back in May 2009. Fall 2011 I decided to branch out and do my blog elsewhere in the hopes of getting more people reading my random thoughts on life, pop culture, Star Trek, comic books, etc. So I found 'Blogspot' and started blogging there under the 'Random Nerdness' banner. I really enjoyed building my own blog site so much so I created a second soon after called 'Trek1701', a Star Trek blog. Then I got hit with blogging fever and I started a 3rd blog called 'The Cola Dog', which was a comic book and animation blog. I shutdown 'The Cola Dog' at the end of May 2012, just because I couldn't keep up with a weekly blog schedule for all 3 blogs. But Random Nerdness has been a lot of fun. In March 2012 I made my podcasting debut as a '4th Chair' guest on the 'Nerd Lunch' podcast. That was a great experience for me. The Nerd Lunch crew (CT, Jeeg and Pax) were great and wonderful to work with and I had a blast on Episode 28 discussing Star Trek. But doing that podcast inspired me to branch out the Random Nerdness blog into its own podcast...

The logo for the Random Nerdness Podcast

 
In September I teamed up with my brother-in-law Sebastian, who is actually a sound engineer, in doing a podcast based on Random Nerdness. So far we have done 2 test pilots, and recorded 5 episodes which I am hoping will be streaming soon at 'Podbean.com' and available on iTunes. Like the blog we on the podcast discuss randomly nerdy things. So far my guest list on the podcast includes my sister Brianna, best friend Tyler, step-sister Meghan, and cousin Curtis. Future episodes will feature other friends and family and hopefully some distant friends and bloggers on the Skype. So stay tuned for that.
 
In August I joined 'The League Of Extraordinary Bloggers'. In the posts I have done for the league I have had a great time. The league definitely has helped in gaining exposure for my blog. I don't do every assignment every week, but I do try.
 
What does the future hold? With doing a podcast my blogs may not get all the attention they once did. But I will still be blogging, but most of my free time will be spent on getting the podcast moving forward. I'm hoping to have streaming for the podcast on the blogs. Stay tuned for future announcements.
 
 
Highlights from this last year:
 
- Started Random Nerdness blog November 2011
- Started Trek1701 and The Cola Dog Blogs January 2012
- March: Guest on Episode 28 of the 'Nerd Lunch' podcast
- April 1st attended the Edmonton Toy Collectible and Comic Books Show in Edmonton and met John DeLancie (TNG's Q) and Julie Benz
- April attended the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo: met the entire cast of TNG, and many other stars. Photos and blog posts available on the RN blog!
- May ended 'The Cola Dog Blog'
- August: Joined the 'League Of Extraordinary Bloggers'
- Sept: Started making preperations for a 'Random Nerdness' podcast.
 
Looking forward to the next year!

- Chris Lockhart, aka 'Chrisloc1701'
 
Be sure to check out these other blogs which are part of the League!:


2 comments:

Brian (Cool and Collected) said...

That's great to hear about your new podcast! I too sat in that 4th chair over on Nerd Lunch this year, but I think it had the opposite effect on me -- there is no podcast in my future. ;)

I'm glad to hear that your participation in the League has helped drive some traffic your way--it's working!

JoMi said...

Stan Lee... wow. You had a busy year! Hopefully the next will be even better. Congrats, great content.