Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why Not Scrappy Doo?

Eyes are a little red from all those 'Scooby Snacks' (aka 'Shrooms') they were eating in that van


Why does everyone hate Scrappy Doo? I loved that dog as a kid and I still like him. As a kid we lived in an area with few channels, and the only exposure to the Scooby Doo cartoons were the 80's Hanna Barbara TV movies that aired on CBC Saturday mornings. Those Scooby films only featured Scooby, Scrappy and Shaggy. I never saw anyone else from the original 'Scooby Gang' so for me Scrappy was always an important part of that world. Yet everyone else I have talked to or listened to have a severe hate on for that little guy. I liked the fact that he was smart, stocky and small. I liked him more than Scooby Doo himself...

What got me thinking about Scrappy was listening to the most recent episode of 'The Atomic Geeks' podcast. Check out their most recent episode, Episode 176 at www.theatomicgeeks.com





But that really doesn't say much because to be honest I am not a big fan of Scooby. I was more of a Flintstones kid growing up. 12pm every weekday on Channel 12 CFRN they would air the original 'Flintstones' cartoon and it was required viewing as a kid. I was about 13 or 14 when CFRN finally decided to make their 'Noon News' which started after 'Flintstones' into a 'News Hour', and thus Flintstones got the bump. It's still a great series and I am looking forward to Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, American Dad) relaunching this series back into the primetime cartoon world in the next year or two as rumoured.  



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scrappy doo was my alltime favorite cartoon character, to this day I'll only watch episodes with the little guy. Cheap move the movie made to make him evil, lots of my friends like scrappy so I don't understand his unpopularity, I hope they bring him back as a good guy in mystery inc. but I doubt it

DinosaurPrince said...

Never understood it either. No kids on the playground talked about hating Scrappy. Everyone loved him and his relationship with Schooby and Shaggy. That is why he was left in for so long. People liked these characters. The Scrappy hate started with the net. The same people that put down others for watching cartoons period, now had a means to channel their bullying further. Also a big fan of the Flintstones. That was required Lunch break viewing!