Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Time for a change

I'm getting older. I'm currently 38 years old, soon to be 39, and I am over weight with a family history of both weight and heart problems. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and recently my blood sugar levels have been high, probably due to my sweet tooth and lack of monitoring.

 Earlier this year one of my pop culture icons, writer/director/podcaster Kevin Smith suffered and survived a widow maker heart attack. He had already been taking steps to lose weight but his doctor told him he had to lose more after the heart attack. Now he is literally half the man he used to be and he is a spokesperson for Weight Watchers, along with other celebrities like Oprah Winfrey.

My Dad was 39 when he had his first heart attack, his Dad was 27. My Uncle Gord (my fathers brother) passed away at the age of 44 due to heart attack. My Grandpa was 51 when he died. It's time to get my shit together. I'm probably about 80 pounds overweight and I need to change that. I have, like my pop culture icon Kevin Smith, joined Weight Watchers and am on a diet. There's definitely been an adjustment as I am finding out how much my sweet tooth adds into my weight and it has and will be hard giving up some things; but it is for a greater good. I want to live.  So going forward hopefully I will be less of what I am now, weight wise that is. My initial goal is to get down to 250 pounds, which may be a lot for most but I am 6 foot and big built (think football player shoulders/build) so to go down to 250 is a good starting goal for me. I do want to lose more but that will come once I've achieved my initial goal.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Good for you. I lost eighty pounds over the past three years and it's not that tough. Portion control and a fruit smoothie every morning kept my hunger at bay. I cheat all the time but my type 2 has nearly gone away. I have average readings...and take your blood surgar, Man. That is what saves your live.